I guess it's about time I say it out loud...
Actually, it's a little past that time.. But anyhoo....
I will start at where it all started...
In high school, when it was time for juniors/seniors to think about what college/university they'd like to go to and to apply, etc, etc... I didn't want to go to any university, no where far away from home. I was too scared to be far away from home. So I thought about community college, and that was it. I never wanted to go to Gallaudet, my dad is an alumni, though he dropped out his first semester. And I've heard stories about Gallaudet after I graduated and started to seriously consider universities. Gallaudet was taboo for me, ABSOLUTELY no way!
I didn't go to college for 3 years, and I'm finally in college. Over the summer, my perspective on Gallaudet changed dramatically. Why? Don't ask me! Haha.
At the beginning of the summer, I was aiming for Western Oregon University.. but I wasn't sure what major I wanted, I prayed all summer and it wasn't until I went to NWCCD and met the guest speaker, Bert Reid, and learned of his career. It was like a light bulb went on over my head, and I went "AHA!!! THAT'S MY MAJOR!!! That's what I am supposed to do!!!!" It makes so much sense because I love languages and I'm always fascinated with languages all over the world, it only makes sense that I do something that I would truly enjoy! So I'm majoring in Linguistics in ASL. For now, I'm working on BA in ASL, then after that, work on Linguistics degree, I'm not sure what one yet, MA or Ph.D. That sounds like forever, but we will see.. maybe I'll just stop at BA, and work from there. Anyways, that's a whole 'nother story there, heh.
Then I worked with VR to get in a local community college to get started. I was getting so geared up that I wanted to transfer for winter quarter. At first I wanted Western Oregon University (WOU) because I know that they offer BA in ASL. I became so focused on which University offers that degree, and I inquired people who went to WOU about that program and they said that it indeed is a good program but is having problems with the deaf program, that it's not working out and recommends that I look into other universities. I was disappointed because I wanted to go to an university that is still close to home. So, I prayed more and decided to look into Galluadet. It was becoming more ok for me because I know some people there now, which 2-3 years ago I didn't know anyone there. As I looked into it more, I realized that it does make sense that Gallaudet is a better choice because it has a deaf community and a deaf culture, everyone signs, where WOU has a deaf program and some people signs, the deaf community there is not as big and as strong as Gallaudet. I was getting frustrated because I didn't want to go anywhere so far away from home. I'm a family person and home is so important to me.
As I prayed more and got in a courtship with this young man who happens to attend Gallaudet, I felt more peace. I'm working with VR and everything seems to work out smoothly for me to transfer to Gallaudet sooner than I thought I'd be able to. I was thinking of transferring the fall of 2010, but I looked into what my community college could offer, I realized that they couldn't help me more than a year. So I realized that it's better that I transfer the fall of 2009, and it makes sense. VR is helping me with all I need and all the lights are green, it's all go. So, I don't see any barrier or stop signs on the way to Gallaudet, and I pray that it's all God's will. I don't want to go against what God has planned.
2 years ago, I've never dreamt that I WOULD go to Gallaudet, it was an absolute NO. But.. Guess what?? You never know the future! God changed my heart, changed my perspective. What I learned is that if God does want me to go to Gallaudet, He will protect me, He will give me right friends and He will make sure I have the support system I will need. And He will teach me new things, transform me more, making me more like Christ. It's amazing. I also learned that God's plan is the best, even if it doesn't make sense at times!!!
So, I'm Gallaudet-bound! I'm going to Gallaudet this Thursday for the open house they're having on Friday. And...... I get to see him!! Hehehe!
It's going to be a great weekend, I will get to see what D.C. looks like and all that!! My first time on the East coast and actually look around!
God knows what is the best, so look on to Him and wait on Him, He will show you and guide you!! LET Him guide you!
_\m/
K